Thursday 22 August 2013

Let the fig tree teach you a lesson

Let the fig tree teach you a lesson

Its  a cold November morning close to around 7am, I was returning from church. The sun was yet to brighten up the new day and it was still a little dark. Riding my motorcycle, I was enjoying the cool breeze against my face wrapped up in my own thoughts for the day.
As I came down the road I noticed a figure bent over at the bottom of a tree. It was a woman, applying turmeric and vermilion to the trunk of the tree, preparing for her ‘puja’. (A common enough sight in India). I had this contemptous smirk on my face as I thought, “would these people ever learn?”. ”Let the fig tree teach you a lesson” and I said “what!” “Yes, let the fig tree teach you a lesson”. Words of scripture struck me like a slap in the face. Nothing else by way of explanation came, and I instinctively knew I was wrong. I was being judgemental.
Somehow that day was a day of meditation, I was meditating on ‘trees’ and here is a summary of my recollection:

That morning and every morning since, I observe the trees in our yard and beyond. The leaves are bright, and slightly upturned heavenwards as if in praise and thanks to their maker. By evening there is a noticible droop, as if tired from all their labours. (“Remind me each morning of your constant love, that I will have a song at night, a prayer of praise to you my God”)
The unceasing supply of oxygen they ‘breathe’ that we may live.
Their shade is inviting on a hot sunny day, or while we simply like to remain out doors.
Their bark, roots and leaves serve us as food, medicine and fodder. (There are lots of other uses as well)
Their fruit is good healthy food and/or medicine. (Depending on the tree)
Their wood is much sought after for its uses.
Now I can sing paeans, but that will rob you of your own opportunity of having this unique experience. (I encourage you to meditate on trees, if you have’nt)
All this and more is done in perfect silence!! Never a word or complaint. It would’nt be surprising to observe people relieve themselves, under trees. Even so, It seems to take the best of this as well and use it to its advantage, taking only what it needs.
What did this have to do with the woman in the story? She was blissfully unaware of what she was doing and why. Perhaps it was ritual she’d been taught by her ancestors, she never stopped to seek, or she would have found a deeper meaning to her actions. Give, give, give like the tree without complaining (serve unconditionally).
I sometimes need to cut sick or dead branches off the (3) mango (1) avacado trees we have in the yard. Each time I do this, I watch intently as the branch that is cut, even if it had a little life, will send ‘sap’ to the end that has just been cut off with some kind of silent, soothing salve. Soon new shoots and leaves begin to sprout from this very same place. Become a ‘tree’, what?, you heard me right. Become a tree. Give, give and give until it hurts!
“Let the fig tree teach you a lesson” as it taught me, a lesson I will never ever forget. A lesson that enabled me t con the phrase “Am I prepared to invest myself into what I believe will succeed?” as the motto of my home business. A lesson that  helps me be open, loving and giving without expecting anything in return (more often, than not). A lesson that helped me cut down on the “whats in it for me?” In business.
Let the fig tree teach you a lesson!!

I can liken SFI (Strong Future International) to the trees I have in my yard, like the mango (it takes time) its strong sturdy,like SFI with 15+ years in the Home Business,  its fruit is known as the ‘king of fruits’ very tasty with excellent nutritional value. Multiple streams of income is a salient feature of SFI. Sign up, its free! Like the mango tree. You will have to water and care for it in its infancy, like any other business. But you will never tire of the fruit of your labor.

 

http://www.sfi4.com/12392488/FREE

No comments:

Post a Comment