Wednesday 22 January 2014

Never let routine be in command of your movements



"How can I know the best way to act in life?" the disciple asked the master.

The master asked him to build a table.

The disciple drove in the nails with three precise blows. One nail, however, struck a hard spot and the disciple needed to deliver one more blow - which drove in the nail too deep all the way into the wood.

"Your hand was used to deliver three blows of the hammer," said the master. "You had so much trust in what you did that you lost your attention and skill."

"When action becomes a mere habit it loses its meaning and may end up causing harm, so never let routine be in command of your movements." 

*****

A powerful monarch called a holy father - everyone said he had healing powers - to help him with his back ache.

"God will help us," said the holy man. "But first let us understand the reason for these pains. I suggest Your Majesty confesses now, for confession makes men face up to their problems, and liberates much guilt."

Annoyed at having to think about so many problems, the king said:

"I do not wish to speak of these matters; I need someone who heals without asking questions."

The priest went off and returned half an hour later with another man.

"I believe that words can relieve pain, and help me to discover the right path to a cure," he said. But you do not wish to talk, and I cannot help you. This is the man you need:

My friend here is a veterinarian, and does not generally speak to his patients." 

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment